Barcode Registration in India:
Barcode registration refers to the process of obtaining a unique barcode identifier for a product or item that is sold in the retail market. The barcode, also known as a Universal Product Code (UPC) is a machine-readable representation of a product’s identification number. The barcode is used to track the product from the manufacturer to the consumer, and it is often scanned at various points in the supply chain, including at the point of sale.
In order to obtain a barcode for a product, the manufacturer or product owner must apply for barcode registration through a barcode registration authority, such as GS1, a global organization that manages barcode standards. The application process typically involves the submission of product information and the payment of a fee.
Barcode registration is important for several reasons. It allows for efficient tracking and inventory management of products in the retail market, and it ensures that products can be accurately identified and priced at the point of sale. Additionally, barcode registration helps to prevent fraud and counterfeiting by providing a unique and verifiable identifier for each product.
Benefits of Barcode Registration:
Barcode registration has several benefits for businesses, including:
- Inventory Management: A barcode system allows for easy and efficient tracking of products, making it easier to manage inventory and prevent overstocking or stock shortages.
- Improved Product Tracking: Barcodes enable businesses to track products from the point of manufacture to the point of sale, providing valuable information about the supply chain and customer demand.
- Accurate Pricing: Barcode registration ensures that products are accurately priced at the point of sale, reducing the risk of incorrect pricing and improving customer trust in the business.
- Reduced Fraud and Counterfeiting: A unique barcode identifier helps to prevent fraud and counterfeiting by providing a verifiable identifier for each product.
- Increased Sales: Improved inventory management and accurate pricing can lead to increased sales, as customers are more likely to purchase products that are readily available and accurately priced.
- Better Customer Experience: By providing accurate and up-to-date information about products, barcodes can improve the customer experience and increase customer satisfaction.
- Compliance with Regulations: In some countries, barcode registration is mandatory for products that are sold in the retail market, and businesses must comply with these regulations to avoid penalties and fines.
Overall, barcode registration provides valuable benefits for businesses by improving inventory management, product tracking, pricing accuracy, and customer experience, while also reducing the risk of fraud and counterfeiting and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations.
Types of Barcodes used in India:
In India, there are two main types of barcodes that are commonly used:
- EAN-13: EAN-13, also known as the European Article Number, is a 13-digit barcode used to identify products that are sold in the retail market. This barcode is the most widely used in India and is recognized globally.
- UPC-A: UPC-A, also known as the Universal Product Code, is a 12-digit barcode that is used in the United States and other countries. It is less commonly used in India, but it is recognized globally and is sometimes used by businesses that sell products both in India and abroad.
Documents Required for barcode registration in India:
- A PAN card of the entity.
- A copy of the audited balance sheet.
- GST/VAT registration certificate.
- A certificate of incorporation/partnership deed.
- The memorandum of Association/Articles of Association.
- A copy of a cancelled cheque.
The steps to do barcode registration in India are as follows:
- Determine the type of barcode: Decide whether you need an EAN-13 or UPC-A barcode for your product.
- Gather necessary documents: Collect all of the required documents, including proof of business identity, product information, product packaging design, and payment of fees.
- Apply for barcode registration: Apply for barcode registration through GS1 India by submitting the required documents and paying the relevant fee.
- Obtain barcode: Once the application is approved, you will receive your unique barcode number and can start using it on your product packaging.
- Maintain accurate product information: It is important to keep your product information accurate and up-to-date, as it is used to verify your barcode number.
- Use barcode properly: Use the barcode in accordance with GS1 India guidelines to ensure that it is easily readable and provides accurate information about your product.
These are the general steps involved in the barcode registration process in India.
We, at Biztone, are professional barcode consultants who can efficiently complete your barcode registration within a single day. You can obtain barcodes for your business at a cost-effective price. If you wish to learn more about barcode registration, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Simply click here to contact us.